Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pterophyllum altum

Fourth, for some tech-geeky reasons, I finally ran my ORP (Redox Potential) gadget. Ok, that it is something that is a bit too much for an ordinary hobbyist, but with the juvenile altums, I wanted to document anything I could handle. Despite low 100+ values during the initial monitoring, when the problems started (physical signs started to show) - the ORP, started to increase reaching as high as 300. Now it's back to 250 and a bit reassuring. There was that feeling of 'what's with the water?' And these with water parameters that could be summed in zeroes for the dreaded ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. My pH remained stable between 6.8 to 7.0 and TDS at 150s (for my planted tank, this was something one wants to avoid a pH crash). To this night, it doesn't really make sense (why the increase in ORP values). Still, and I should admit, I was also tempted to increase the ORP to 350 at certain times using my ozone generator to finish off anything that shouldn't be there - but that entails more risk than necessary as a male zebra pleco is caring for the eggs laid by my lone female L46.

There are many other possible reasons - but one thing is sure, I am enjoying this. It is the challenge a serious hobbyist needs - to strive harder. And for those who are getting their P. altum juveniles, I suggest, increase your water temperature (the first thing Ken Kennedy of Pinoy Angelfish fame asked me if I did when we talked), start the antibiotic treatment right away upon quarantining them. I am using Sera's Baktopur although Potassium Permanganate would do as well albeit it is more risky. You will soon realize why one of the hardest fish to keep are P. altums.

No comments: